AMC Kicks Laughing Puppet Out of Pink Panther

AMC movie theaters are under fire for the egregious crime of kicking Florida resident Matt Brown out of their theaters for laughing too hard during a recent showing of The Pink Panther remake.

Obviously, given the fact that this is someone enjoying the Pink Panther remake we’re talking about here, we don’t really need to tell you that Matt’s just a little bit retarded. Specifically, Matt has Angelman syndrome, also known as “the laughing puppet disorder”.

We’re a little loathe to just totally condemn AMC here. Even the advocacy groups commenting in the article aren’t really all that quick to do so. AMC was responding to numerous customer complaints, from patrons who felt their tormented experience was being mocked by the overzealous braying five aisles back during a showing of a patently unfunny movie. On the other hand, we’d like to think that if we were in that theater with Matt, we’d get a kick out of the fact that he was having a good time.

So overall, we’re pretty much on the side of Matt’s mother here, who rampaged back into the theater to chew the audience out after her son was kicked out of the theater: AMC’s customers are a real bunch of assholes.

Link: When Are Laughs Too Loud For A Movie? over at The St. Petersburg (Florida!) Times.

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

I am lobbying for a button on my theater seat that allows me to page an usher to respond to asshats who insist on talking on cell phones during movies or the Russian couple who insist on translating back and forth plot points of Cheapter by the Dozen 2. Over the minimum daily allowance and out you go.

2. mrscolex says:

That’s no excuse to go to the ACLU for God’s sake. (no pun intended)

When Dee Snider used to be on the air here, he caught a lot of flack for talking about going to see Episode II and a kid with turret’s syndrome kept making chirping happy noises because he was so excited and he couldn’t help it.

It was a funny topic, because he was upset that the movie was essentially ruined for him. A parent later called in to express her disgust because a child with turret’s syndrome has every right to see a movie that we do. Right?

Interesting question.

I’m related to a “special needs” child who occasionally has the tendency to physically strike other children. We have a social responsibility not to let him loose on a playground full of children. In controlled environments where one can watch what he’s doing, it certainly is appropriate to let him play in the playground. See the analogy? If we let him loose on the playground and he pounds the snot out of another child are we going to get the ACLU to defend his rights because he’s a special needs child?

I would point out that the parents of that child, regardless of whether or not their child is special, have a social responsibility to their fellow movie patrons regardless of the disabled state of their child. This isn’t seperate but equal, but common etiquette coming from the perspective of someone who has had to deal with these things. When outbursts were made by my particular relative, we left the movie theater. It was hard on us, but it was the cross that we bore– along with the stares, and the snide remarks and everything else you learn to get a tough skin about.

A more progressive approach from the parents would be to organize a group where other children just like himself could work with the manager of movie theaters and have other children just like himself go to watch. Everyone wins.

3. mrscolex says:

I had heard this story on the radio, and the announcer had said that the parents had gone to the ACLU to defend them. I’m having trouble corroborating that on google news so take it with a grain of salt for the time being– I apologize, but my point still stands.

4. Rick Dobbs says:

Couldn’t they just download the movie like everyone else?

5. Karmakin says:

Which is why I should be able to go to the theatre box office, and instead of buying a ticket, purchase a copy of the DVD to watch at home at my leisure.

6. Anabelle says:

What mrscolex said in first of two posts above (except she needs to learn how to spell Tourette’s). Specifically: “the parents of that child… have a social responsibility to their fellow movie patrons regardless of the disabled state of their child.”

Ahhh, courtesy – the lovely, lost art. Let’s not worry about the common good. It’s all about individual rights, dammit.

I have experienced a similar situation. A mentally disabled adult and his escort or companion were seated several rows from my son and me during a movie. The afflicted man’s loud grunts, whoops of entirely inappropriate laughter (it was not a “kid flick”), and high-decibel comments ruined the movie for us and, presumably, for many others in the theater.

There is no easy solution to this that doesn’t inconvenience someone.

7. mrscolex says:

dangit, thats mr. scolex ;) Thats the second time thats happened. ah well… *gives up* turret syndrome would be pretty sweet though.

8. etinterrapax says:

Having a separate showing for people who might be disruptive has already been invented. They call it Reel Moms. But when you group a bunch of women and babies together, it doesn’t push the same buttons with people as grouping a bunch of mentally challenged people together. And frankly, I’m not sure I want the ACLU standing there and saying, “You know what, you and your noisy kid should just go anywhere you want, because kids belong everywhere they are, and it’s your right to bring them there.” Because I don’t so much believe that everyone belongs everywhere he or she is. Getting people not to fall into the chasm of a lack of courtesy on one side or the chasm of discrimination on the other side appears to be nigh impossible. It’d be awesome if people could just look at themselves and apply the buttmunch standard, i.e. “Can I go wherever I’m going and with whomever I’m going there without exposing other people to buttmunchy behavior?” If yes, sail on. If no, change plans. Easier said than done, but oh, the paradise if everyone would just even try.

9. Bubba Barney says:

Well, silver lining is at least someone found the movie funny. Not that I have seen it. The previews/ads were enough to warn me.