Don’t Overpay for a Mattress

How does the IRS sleep at night? Well, they don’t spend too much on mattresses for one thing.

Andrew, apparently an IRS operative, points us to to an old Slate article on buying mattresses. Essentially, buy the cheapest the thing you can stand because you’re sleeping on a bed of 99% marketing and lies anyway.

Going to the Mattresses. [Slate]

Comments

1. I’ve thrown a sheet over a huge pile of dirty laundry once or twice and slept just fine. The sheet just made it feel like a real bed, made out of lumpy clothes.

2. Gari N. Corp says:

This article is much better than the usual Slate consumer reports. They usually go something like this:

“We pick which is absolutely the best of this product ever,” and then pick the most epensive one, maybe flinging out the outliers in the process.

But this article is good, mostly because it insults mattress makers and sellers, who single-handedly ruin local TV in the morning, and need snark so bad

3. Jesse says:

Anyone have any thoughts on Tempurpedic? I’ve been seriously thinking about getting one for a while (I have a bad back), but would love to know what others think, especially since they cost so much.

4. Jillsy says:

I slept on a Tempurpedic at a friend’s house for a couple nights, and I loved it. Actually, it might even have been a knockoff Tempurpedic. I have occasional lower back pain, especially after sleeping on a strange mattress, but loved loved loved this one.

I tried to talk my parents into getting Tempurpedic mattresses when they renovated their apartment, but they tried it in the store and didn’t like it. They complained that once you sink into the “memory foam,” it’s difficult/uncomfortable to roll over or shift position. I don’t remember this being a problem for me, but there you go. That’s the only complaint I’ve heard about these mattreses. Besides the price. Seriously, look into the knockoffs, if they’re still around.

5. Gari N. Corp says:

I knew someone who loved Tempurpedic so much, but had so little money he could only afford a single Tempur mattress. So he scrounged a queen-sized bed and had that in his bedroom for whenever he had, er company.

That, I guess, is a testimonial.

6. Clare says:

The fakes are still around. I have a Bodipedic memory foam mattress, the fake Tempurpedic mattress from QVC. They occasionally go on Today’s Special Value, and I got mine when it was on special. They’re pricey, but not quite as bad as a Tempurpedic.

I liked it a lot when I first got it, when it was a lot firmer, but I have the same problem that Jillsy’s parents have with it–once you sink in, you need a crane to get you out of bed. I also dislike the fact that it doesn’t seem to breathe: I sleep on my side and the mattress side is always kind of…uh…clammy in the morning. Ew.

7. OkiMike says:

Upon moving back to Japan, I had a bit of money and wanted to get some “professional” sleeping materials.

I invested in a Tempurpedic pillow for $150 and was going to get the mattress as well when I figured it would be better to wait.

My opinion on the pillow: It’s nice if you always sleep like a corpse…straight up and down on your back with your arms at your sides. But upon rolling on your side, you lose the neck support.

Like the Slate.com article mentioned, I also have a piece of crap pillow that I got free from a donut shop after eating a dozen in the course of a week. And I tend to use it more than the Tempurpedic because it gives me next support even when I contort myself out like a pretzel.

8. BenM says:

I was on the road for a lot of years and think that all hotel mattresses are alike with one big exception. The Four Seasons mattress is the best I have ever slept on bar none. (of course the ninety billion count sheets may have had something to do with that)

9. airship says:

If you’re normal size, without any back problems whatsoever, it probably doesn’t matter what you sleep on. Being huge myself, and with lower back problems to boot, I need to sleep on a very good mattress. The only thing I’ve found that works is to try them out. Tempurpedic doesn’t work for me. I sink in too deep and can’t get out. :)

10. AcidReign says:

…..I grew up with hand-me-down Sears mattresses. One of them had four springs that stuck up through the sheet. You sure didn’t want to roll over on that side of the bed!

…..When I finally became financially solvent about 15-20 years ago, I bought a good Sealy (they were called Posturepedic back then!). It hasn’t worn out, and I’ve slept really well on it. Probably one of the best $600 purchases I ever made! I take it for granted, till I spend a night in a hotel or vacation condo…

…..My only complaint is that you have to buy the extra deep fitted sheets for it, and even then, the sheets have to be safety pinned-onto the mattress.

11. Juancho says:

Doesn’t Four Seasons actually sell those mattresses? I hear they are supposed to be the bomb.