Round 3: Sprint vs. Verizon

Gawker Media polls require Javascript; if you’re viewing this in an RSS reader, click through to view in your Javascript-enabled web browser.

Rick Dobbs on Sprint: “They work great as long you don’t have to talk to anyone.”

The Consumerist on Verizon: “We’ve been trying to get them to install our landline since December 20th.”

Previously:

• Round 2: H&R Block vs. US Postal Service

• Round 1: Halliburton vs. Monsanto
  • Worst Company Competition Ladder

Comments

1. Kevin Meyers says:

I’ve found that Sprint is really making an effort to improve their customer service. I recently purchased a Samsung A900 phone that was amazingly buggy — apparently Samsung shipped those things with atrocious firmware that required two updates — but all of my repeated calls to Sprint were handled quite well. They have obviously trained their customer service reps to clearly articulate the customer’s problem, and once solved, make sure that everything is satisfactory. I have been a Sprint customer for six years, and have nothing but praise for the current state of the company.

2. Paul D says:

I have Verizon. Never had a problem. *shrug*

Buddy has Sprint, hates them, but is locked in for another year.

3. ben says:

I’ve had Verizon as a cell provider for as long as I’ve had a cell phone, so I might not know any differently. Any problems I’ve had are mostly through my own mistakes (not realizing I wasn’t on a roaming plan, breaking a non-insured phone before my next upgrade date, etc.)… Plans are pretty reasonable for my use and customer service has been pretty decent. My new RAZR is a bit sluggish and I don’t love the Verizon interface, but there could be worse problems.

I do know a few people, however, who hate Sprint and what was Nextel.

4. christy says:

I love that my bluetooth-enabled phone by Verizon is hobbled so it can’t actually do anything with my bluetooth-enabled computer.

Bastards.

5. Papercutninja says:

Verizon has the best coverage. But the company is evil. EVIL like Michael Jackson!

6. airship says:

I switched to Sprint when they promised me coverage on St. Thomas when I was going there to visit my daughter. They had coverage, all right – from one tower on one side of the mountain. It covered about a square mile. We had to drive to that spot once a day to check my voicemail and make callbacks to the mainland. When I got back home, I found the coverage they’d promised me at home was about the same.
    When I called customer service, they asked me, “Well, how far do you have to drive to get a signal?” WTF!?! I patiently tried to explain that my cell phone was my only phone, and I wasn’t going to drive anywhere to get a signal!
    When I cancelled, they tried to charge me over $500, which I told them I was not going to pay since they didn’t provide the promised coverage. They told me I was in an area their system described as “marginal”, so I couldn’t cancel without paying. WTF again!?! Why did they even sell me a plan if their system SAYS my area is ‘marginal’? They didn’t tell me that when I signed up – they said my area ‘has coverage’. And they have several stores in this area selling their so-called ‘service’.
    After several calls over several days working my way up the chain of supervisors, they grudgingly allowed me to quit without charging me. But only because I had my own phone. If I had taken one of their discounted phones with the plan, I would have been screwed.
    Truth is, here in the Midwest NONE of the major cell phone providers has service more than 5 miles from the towers they build along the Interstates. They figure the majority of their cell customers here are just driving through. But they don’t tell you that when you sign up!
    I’m VERY happy with a local company, U.S. Cellular, which has towers in every hog lot and back alley in the state. Excellent coverage, excellent service, and good cheap plans. I roam when I’m out of the state, but so what? The only bad thing about them is they hired Joan Cusack as their spokesmodel. :P

7. mrscolex says:

I went Verizon on this one. Not that I’m a big fan of sprint, or their service. I wasn’t going based on cell companies I was going based on overall crapitude.

8. non-meat-stick says:

Verizon took my job, evil bastards…

9. Rick Dobbs says:

All phone companies seem to suck hard enough to qualify to be a Vivid girl.

Sprint does every thing in their power to direct you to their website to resolve issues, then once a problem is logged on their website, they quickly inform you that you need to call and talk to a rep to solve the problem.

I’ve stopped switching companies just because I’m tired of dealing with the same problems under a different logo.