Short Supply: Score Some Coke, Now With New Newness!

You sell your stereo equipment, frequent the bathrooms at Kohl’s and Time Warner Center and lift bills from your grandma’s purse. The beast that is your New Coke habit demands so. It’s a tough monkey to beat off your back.

New Coke was on the market for only 79 days despite its sweeter flavor beating Pepsi in blind taste tests.

The product flopped as bottlers refused to buy the additional equipment required to carry both it and Coke Classic. Likewise, diehard Coke fans and future diabetics were outraged at this attack on their food-based identity.

These days, New Cokeheads can get their fix in the online markets.

UPDATE: Here’s some you can buy from Micronesia, pointed to us by Adreak.

New Coke is It!? Depends on what your definition of is, was.

Can You Still Buy New Coke? [Ask Yahoo]

Bonus Link: Nazi Influences Sit on Mr. Pibb’s Fontface

Comments

1. airship says:

I’m more interested in old Coke. That is, pre-New Coke old Coke. Coke was sweetened with sugar before the New Coke debacle. After, Coke was sweetened with corn syrup (albeit far less of it than was put into New Coke). I’m convinced the whole New Coke thing was just a smokescreen to cover up the planned switch from sugar to corn syrup. This switch saves the Coca Cola company multi-millions every year, but results in a product that tastes like fizzy Karo syrup. (And yes, I say this despite the fact that I live in the biggest corn-producing state in the nation.) What really bugs me is I had a case of old Coke stashed away to dole out to myself at the rate of a bottle a year, then drank it all when they announced the switch back to the old formula. About the time I finished that case off, the ‘restored’ formula came back on the market, and I realized how I’d been duped.
    Then there’s the issue of REALLY old Coke, as in the turn of the previous century. It had cocaine in it.

• themicah says:

@airship: You can get corn syrup free Coke in parts of the US with a sizable Jewish population in the spring when the kosher for Passover Coke comes out. Usually the K-for-P Coke comes in 1.5L or 2L bottles with yellow caps that indicate they’re K-for-P. These bottles are made with cane sugar since corn syrup isn’t kosher for Passover.

I’m not sure whether the largest corn producing state these days is Iowa or Illinois, but in most cities in either state you should be able to find K-for-P Coke come springtime.

2. If you live in New York at least, you can get a taste of what the OG coke used to be like- just seek out a bodega that sells Mexican Coke- its still made with can sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Its definitely better, just not as easy to obtain. You can tell it by the larger than normal glass bottle. Its a bit more expensive but good for a “once in a while” treat. I wonder if you can find a distributer and get a case of it…

3. SamC says:

I don’t buy the “new coke as a cover” story. Check the this article on snopes.com about it. Corn syrup had replaced sugar well before the New Coke fiasco.

Anyhow, on of the local supermarkets (Hannaford’s) still carries Coke II in two-liter bottles.

Also, if you’re jonesing, Coke is fairly tweaked from region to region, based on local tastes. So order yourself some cases from various regions til you find one you like.

I’d always known this, but I didn’t really notice til I went to Europe. Spanish Coke is much different from that in France. When in Europe, don’t drink the water or the soda, stick with the wine and the beer. Trust me on this.

4. Eric J says:

If you want that Old Coke Fix, around the end of March, beginning of April, look for 2-liter bottles with a yellow cap, marked as “Kosher for Passover” or KP.

This is made with beet or cane sugar, because corn syrup is not allowed on Passover.

It should be easy to find in the NYC area, and in major metropolitan areas around the US.

5. Juancho says:

Definitely true about the cane; you can find some specialty soda retailers on line who care full lines of Mexican versians of 7-Up, Pepsi, whatever. It is supposed to be fantastic.

What is the shelf life of Coke? Is old New Coke still drinkable?

Texas Dr. Pepper in a glass bottle is supposed to be the ne plus ultra of American Pop.

6. Dave (aka. Dietrich) says:

I still say the New Coke deal was a gimmick to get force Pepsi to knock off the taste test campaign, and to get people to come out & say they preferred the taste of Coke. They had a winner the way things were; why in the world would they change the recipe just to make their product taste like the other guy’s product?

I know Snopes says it was just a screwup, but outfits like Coca Cola, USA just don’t screw up like that.

7. airship says:

They may still sell sugar-laced cola somewhere in the world, but here in Iowa it’s a needle in the arm for anyone who tries to import and/or drink a can of pop that doesn’t have corn syrup in it. Trust me, you don’t want to mess with the farmers out here…

8. Kevin Meyers says:

Whole Foods has a private label cola (365 brand) that is made with pure cane sugar. Quite similar to the taste of Coke I’ve had in Bermuda — and eons better than high fructose corn syrup-laced Coca-Cola Classic.

9. OkiMike says:

SamC and Kevin Meyers are right on this one. Coke is made differently in each region to suit local tastes.

I’ve tasted Coke in 24 countries. The best ones: Israel, Germany, Bermuda, Jamaica, Mexico and Japan.

10. airship says:

Here’s what Snopes has to say on the New Coke/Sugar/Corn Syrup thing:
    “In 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke, half the cane sugar in Coca-Cola had been replaced with high fructose corn syrup. By six months prior to New Coke’s knocking the original Coca-Cola off the shelves, there was no cane sugar in American Coca-Cola. Whether they knew it or not, what consumers were drinking then was 100% sweetened by high fructose corn syrup.”
    My point is still at least somewhat valid – when New Coke was introduced, old Coke had only just made the change to 100% corn syrup. In most supply lines, it’s likely that much or most of the old Coke on the shelves was still the 1/2 sugar variety. It’s likely that the change wasn’t felt by most consumers until after Classic Coke was put on the market.
    I know that I noticed the difference with my very first can of Classic Coke.
    While it might not have been an INTENTIONAL smokescreen on the part of the Coca Cola company, the end result is the same – Coke had real sugar in it until shortly before the introduction of New Coke, and afterwards, Classic Coke didn’t.