Best Buy Dupes Customers into Worst Mag Subscriptions

In a classic bait-and-switch, customers allege that Best Buy tells people they get a free magazine subscription and then charges them for it.

Don
t worry, it
s absolutely free. We
re doing a special promotion
a Best Buy cashier allegedly told Chelsea Tulin at checkout.

After getting home, she checked receipt and saw at the bottom Best Buy had given her credit/debit info to Time. They also gave Time permission to charge her card after the 8 issue free trial for 24 issues at 24.95 and to auto charge renewals every 6 months afterwards.

On Time
s website you can get 84 issues for $29.95

Dawn Bryant, a Best Buy spokesperson, told the SF Gate that,
the reasoning behind this promotion is for us to give customers things they can appreciate. It
s to best serve the customer.

Tell that to the attorney generals of Wisconssin, Ohio and New Jersey, who all filed suits against Best Buy for deceptive practices.

Chelsea canceled her subscription once she saw what was happening. “It shouldn’t be up to consumers to have to stay on top of these things,” she said, “But it is.”

Magazine Offer Not a Best Buy [SF Gate]

Comments

1. non-meat-stick says:

I had to say no the other day when purchasing some blank CD-R’s. I also hate how they ask for my home phone number. I always give the cashier a weird look and say, “I don’t have a home phone”. They come back with, okay we’ll skip that. I’m not lying, I only have a cell phone so I really don’t have a home phone. I always pay with cash at Best buy too, I don’t like them or trust them, but they are the only electronics store with in 60 miles for me.

2. Mike says:

I always say “no thank you” when they ask for personal information like phone numbers, zip codes, and mag subscriptions at Best Buy.

Here’s a tip: don’t buy your stuff at the front registers. Buy it at any of the other counters in the store, even the returns counter. The line is almost always shorter, and they don’t give you the third degree when you check out.

Of course, as you have not paid up front where the door bouncer can see you, they will most certainly ask to see your receipt as you try to leave the store. To that, I also always say…

“No thank you!”

… and walk right by! Score one for personal privacy!

3. The Unicorn says:

Best Buy also signed me up for an HSBC Mastercard when I opened a Best Buy account to get a 12-months-no-interest deal on my camcorder. I specifically did *not* fill out that portion of the application, & declined when the clerk asked me about it.

So the only way it got filled out is if the clerk filled in my info after I’d left. And, when I called to cancel this unnecessary, unwanted card, I had to listen though a good 10 minutes of the service rep trying to convince me I should keep it (even when I explained that I hadn’t even signed up for it in the first place).

Argh.

4. Juancho says:

Best Buy was sued by the AG here in Ohio, but for other things. They still ask about the mag subscriptions.

It’s all in the fine print when they screw you. If BB asks for something, just say no.

5. Kat2 says:

Ex BB employee here: We have a button we can press that says you declined to give your phone number. Of course, I liked the guy who told me his number was 867-5309. Jenny!

6. Michael A. B. says:

The main problem with 867-5309 is that it is assigned to someone. In Chattanooga, it was assigned to a business I worked 3rd shift at. We could tell when the song came on the radio.

I prefer giving the local dial-a-prayer number. Because that is all they have if they want to market to me over the phone.

7. mikelite says:

you can never trust these companies. they’ll stuff whatever they want on there. I’ll never give a phone number (I used to give my ex-boss’s cell #) but when they ask for a zip I give them a zip in minnesota – i’m in NYC. It’s petty and useless, but it throws off their data collection.