Ripped-off Ford Customer Torches Dealership, Kills Self

Don
t screw your customers over: they may blow you up.

On February 4, George Georgettis, an apparently mild-mannered performance arts theater manager, purchased a new SUV from a Miami Ford dealership. When he arrived home and checked the paperwork, he discovered the price was vastly higher than he agreed to on the lot. Feeling scammed, he took action. But rather than quietly seethe, blog about it or even complain to the Better Business Bureau, he crashed his new Ford Escape through the dealership’s window, doused the SUV in gasoline and lit a match.

Witness Denise Cruz was standing near Georgettis when he started his arson.
The next thing you heard was BOOM, and you saw flames all over the place,
she said, as reported by CBS-4.

Eleven cars were destroyed in the conflagration, including an extra-special ‘limited-edition’ Ford GT worth $150,000.

This otherwise darkly comic tale of vigilante consumer activism turned tragic last night when the suspect allegedly committed suicide, hanging himself in the restroom of a flight from Washington to LA.

Note to Ford: live consumers make for better return customers.

Customer Torches Dealership [ CBS-4 ]

Comments

1. Benko says:

am i the only one really disturbed by this?

2. OkiMike says:

Maybe he should have crashed it through the house of the salesman who sold him the car rather than the entire dealership.

3. CatMoran says:

Maybe he should have just walked into the dealership and pointed out their clerical error.

a) It might actually have been a clerical error. It’s not likely, but it does happen.

b) Given an easy ‘out’ some thieves of the car dealer breed will correct their ‘mistake’. (It looks good the next time someone calls the police or tries to sue them.)

4. Paul D says:

Um…

Is no one else curious as to how this guy managed to hang himself in an airplane lavatory?

I find it difficult to even turn around in there, much less attempt suicide.

(Did I read that right?)

5. Tonya says:

Come on, obviously this guy had other issues besides the disputed price of a car!

… and what was he thinking, signing his name without looking over the contract? You have to read the find print and question everything.

I helped a friend of mine buy a used Honda a couple of years ago. When it came time to sign the contract, the Berkeley, California dealership had added a few sneaky add-ons to the negotiated price, including $300 for “security etching” (they etched the VIN number on the windshield) which she neither asked for nor approved. We had to fight each charge tooth and nail and finally threatened to walk away if all of them weren’t removed pronto.

That did the trick and we go the car for the actual negotiated price. Always take the time to read the fine print. Take the contract home with you and read it over carefully. Do the math again. Don’t just let them “tell” you what’s in there. READ IT.

::stepping off my soap box now::

This is the perfect time to ask my question: I’m thinking about buying a new car this year. Has anyone used a car buying service? Comments? Opinions? Advice?

Thanks!

6. mloren says:

I know how he felt, but I wish he had spared himself in the process of venting his anger. Rather than increasing the sales price on me, the local Ford dealer in Vinita, OK (Green Country Ford), removed the lighted running boards from my pickup. I was purchasing the vehicle so my partner, ill with terminal cancer, could like down in the back seat as I took him back and forth for his chemotherapy treatments. The old truck was too high for him to climb into with his weakened condition, and it had only one seat so he couldn’t lie down. The salesman gave me the sticker from the window and stated that with all of these expensive accessories the price was well-justified. When I couldn’t find a switch to engage the running boards, I asked the service manager on my next visit how to extend the running boards, as my mate needed to use them (or else I had to hire help to lift him into the truck), as I had seen other vehicles whose running boards opened automatically when one opened the appropriate door. He also couldn’t find them, so he took the sticker into the salesman who played too busy to talk with me but promised to call me at home later. He waited until 6 PM when his peers had all gone home and then called to say that the dealership had removed them to put on another vehicle, and that they should have been crossed off the sticker! So, he did just that…….crossed through the “lighted running boards” and mailed the sticker back to me. Little did he know that I had a copy of the original sticker which I had FAXed to my insurance agent to initiate coverage which does NOT have the strike-through. I am now preparing a small claims court case, and I would encourage everyone to do so when they have been mistreated in this manner; my partner has now died from his metastatic lung cancer, but I am even more determined to persue this matter in his memory.