Dominoes Pizza Fires Driver for Being Robbed

Everyone has seen the signs saying, ‘The delivery does not have more than $20 in cash.’ Who knew that having more than $20 on hand was a fireable offense? According to The Roanoke Times, Christine Clayborne, a six-year veteran of pizza delivery with Dominoes, was fired after she was robbed on the job, because having more than $20 made her “look like a target,” she says. At least she’s kept a good sense of humor about the robbery:

Before she could respond, a man wearing a ski mask and crouched close to the ground sprayed her with a fire extinguisher.

“I was in disbelief,” Clayborne said.

She couldn’t see. Her whole body was covered in white foam.

“Is this guy serious?” Clayborne said she asked herself at the time. “It was the funniest thing. He seemed pretty shaky.”

Clayborne’s bosses say she is liable for any money lost over $20, which seems nearly impossible for a driver to manage if they have multiple stops on a delivery, but far more reasonable than any justification that could be used to fire an employee of six years just because she had some bad luck. She deserves an apology—and her job back. (Thanks, Davis!)

Comments

1. JNelsonW says:

That’s preposterous; when someone orders more than $20 on a single order (pretty common, no doubt) are they supposed to drive back and forth to the store and collect the payment in shifts?

2. gunnk says:

JNelsonW: No, the driver just isn’t allowed to leave the store with more than $20 on them.

Still, this is just another reason to boycott Domino’s (I also don’t like their politics). Of course the best reason to boycott Domino’s is their really lousy pizzas… blech!

3. limiter says:

Domino’s pizza is horrible. Everyone I know thinks it tastes bad. I would rather eat Litte Caesars $5 crap pizza then eat Dominos. This story now gives me a reason to tell other people not to order Dominos. Thank you consumerist.

4. JNelsonW says:

Gunnk- I see, that does make more sense. Nevertheless, it goes with out saying that its pretty shitty to fire your employee after they were robbed.

By the by though, the thief’s robbery technique was pretty creative. Not to imply my approval or anything.

5. Policies like this only encourage employees to resist theft and will ultimately result in the loss of a life. If you make the drivers personally responsible for being robbed, then it’s only natural for someone to resist being mugged. The losses from these thefts are so small that Dominoes should eat these losses as a cost of doing business and encourage their minimum wage drivers to cooperate with thieves. When an employee finally does get killed, the multi-million wrongful death lawsuit will cost a lot more then the $200 that they are trying to take out of the pockets of hard working delivery drivers.

6. Roxstar says:

It seems like the issues are being confused. She could have been fired whether or not she was robbed. That had nothing to do with it. She was fired because she violated company policy by leaving with too much cash. She just got caught because she was robbed.

The real issues as I see them:

* The policy is touted as “for driver safety” but nobody knows what she has. In truth, Dominos is protecting their profits by limiting what can be stolen.

* Since when is anybody fired for one offense? Especially after years of solid performance?

A policy is good, but this one stinks. As a former driver, I offer this suggestion: Drivers should leave the store with $9 per delivery on each run. If they have 3 stops on one run, they should leave with $27 so they have a good chance of covering all 3 customers.

And of course, if they screw up, they should be warned first, suspended on a busy night second, and fired lastly.

7. yerfatma says:

“Get the door: you’re fired.”

8. junyo says:

Keep in mind that this company has also fired multiple drivers for legally carrying/using a weapon in self defense while being robbed. Apparently the underlaying company policy is “Delivery drivers are expendable.”

9. Roxstar says:

By a show of hands, whose employer allows you to carry a weapon to work?

I see law enforcement officers, military personel, *some* security guards, contract killers, and professional knife throwers.

10. junyo says:

In my own vehicle, out in the field, carrying cash/valuables, where strong armed robbery is a decent probability, and you have the legal right and ability to do so? Not only allowed, it’s encouraged. Been on more than one job where a flash of chrome made someone reconsider their choice of victim.

Further, Domino’s classifies pepper spray and D cell Maglites as “weapon”. By that definition a lot of companies allow you to carry at work.

11. fatecreatr says:

One of the things that doesn’t make sense in the whole incident is the robber’s method of attack…. fire extinguishers (in my limited but memorable experience) do not emit foam at all. It settles on the target as a powder. I suppose this doesn’t look good in the movies.

Besides, even taking into account the violation of policy about not taking more than $20, there has to be more to it for them to fire an emplyee of 6 years. That’s a lifetime in the pizza delivery biz. Maybe she had like $400 on her with no explaination.

All the real details have not been voiced I’d wager.

12. Whiskey_Women_25 says:

I live here in Texas and I know I order Dominoe’s most of the time and none of our drivers has ever got robbed. Frankly I dont see how it is the drivers fault she didnt know that there was going to be anyone to rob her. Who knows the $20.00 she was carrying was probably some of her tip money or gas money.

13. hatter says:

I am a manager at Dominos, and ALL the drivers know that they are to leave the store with ONLY $20…That is so that they do not set another driver up to be robbed…If robbers KNEW that ALL Dominos drivers only have $20, there is a much less chance of being a victim.
    The company has to enforce the policy in order to keep the other 99.9% of our employees safe.