Priceline Has Customer Arrested for Diligent Refund Attempt

Priceline.com had concert pianist Ronnie Segev thrown in jail on charges of harrassment after the upset customer called the company 215 times in an attempt to secure a refund for a $953 airline ticket he had never purchased. From The Post:

A judge later dismissed the charges, but not before Segev spent 40 hours in a Manhattan holding cell with hardened criminals who laughed at him, threatened him and tried to steal his fancy watch and sneakers.

A tough-looking cellmate asked him, “So, what are you in for?”

“Priceline refund,” the musician sheepishly replied. It went downhill from there.

Segev has still not recieved a refund, but has filed a malicious prosecution suit against Priceline. (Thanks, Com!)

Comments

1. Paul D says:

Wow. Just…wow.

2. airship says:

Reminds me of Arlo Guthrie’s ‘Alice’s Restaurant’, where he was arrested and put in jail with ‘mother rapers, father rapers’, etc., He had to answer ‘what are you in for?’ with ‘littering’. But he added ‘and creating a nuisance’ and then it was okay. :)

3. micah says:

wow.

uhh, i’m going to try and follow this one. this is ridiculous.

4. RowdyRoddyPiper says:

If anyone hasn’t read the linked article (it requires registration), the motivation priceline gives is priceless. They claim that the repeaded calls forced them to switch to an automated customer service system. I have no idea why that is the problem of the NY County DA.

That it would require two plainclothes cops (NYC Detectives) to reel in this dangerous criminal is unbelievable. I’ve done a cursory check of the relevant statutes in NY State and it appears that an element of harassment is that the communication serve no legitimate purpose. I don’t see how calling to get a refund serves no legitimate purpose.

If Priceline.com feels that the way to deal with their customers is to sic the police on them…good luck with that. If the NYCPD doesn’t have better things to do than round up disgruntled customers…again, good luck. I know Vic Mackey wouldn’t waste his time on this. Honestly I hope that their corporate counsel, listed as Peter Millones, is charged with making false statements to the police, dragged out of his bed at 3am on a Friday and held in lockup over the weekend.

This is a link to a guy that really, really, really hates Priceline. He has phone numbers to most members of management. I have no idea if they are accurate, but if you have an issue, maybe that’s the number you call.

Anyone know why this guy didn’t just let his credit card company handle this?

5. mrscolex says:

I need sooouls….

6. jblocher says:

Priceline seems to love to cheat their customers. We tried to book a room through their hotel reservations line, it would not allow us to book the number of rooms so we got out of the website and called ourselves. They are charging us for rooms. We now have paid twice for them. They refuse to give our money back “it is nonrefundable”. Amazingly my ititials are supposedly on the website when my husband was the one using their website. STAY AWAY FROM PRICELINE They are NOT part of the Better Business Bureau. BEWARE!!!!!!!