Consumerist Research Team Assemble: Buying Cigarettes in New York

Since today is turning out to be one of those days where we lay out all our shortcomings and ask you to help us fix them, we’ll see our own bad credit and raise ourselves one addiction. It seems that Bloomberg is threatening to raise cigarette taxes again, which would bring the tax total to $3.50, or more than most people pay for cigarettes in their entirety in most states.

So yeah, they’re an awful habit and we know it—as soon as we can figure out how to order Zyban from Canadian pharmacies we’ll try to quit again, promise (not kidding)—but until then, help us find the best way to order cartons of cigarettes in New York state. We would prefer American Spirits, since that is our death of choice, but any good options will be considered, especially since we’ll then take this information and pass it back to Gawker, so they, too, can enjoy flaking, malignant lungs.

As we too often say, don’t think of this as killing ourselves. Think of us as a reason for cancer researchers to go to work each morning.

Comments

1. christy says:

I thought smokes just fell out of the sky in New York. Just go outside and wait for a pack to hit you on the head.

2. AppTechie says:

Actually…hit up http://www.smoke.com

Get a carton of Marlboro Lights for $15 from Switzerland…or Sweden…or wherever and no tax to pay either…

3. bonnie says:

I was paying around $6 a pack for my American Spirits when I’d finally had enough (I’m in Washington State). So now I pack my own. The tobacco isn’t taxed the same as cigarettes.

You can buy a carton’s worth of empty cigarette tubes (no rolling involved) for about $2 and a can of American Spirit tobacco runs me about $15. One can makes a little less than one carton, at least the way I make them. Generic tobacco is about $7 a can. A decent packing machine is around $30 and it only takes me 10 minutes to do up 20 cigarettes; and that’s at a fairly sedate pace while I’m watching TV at night.

I wasn’t sure that I’d actually stick with packing my own before I started, but I’ve been doing it for 8 months now and have only broke down and bought a single pack of pre-made cigarettes in that time. The savings makes it completely worth it to invest the couple minutes a day it takes to pack my own. Even with the machine, the start up cost is less than a regular carton. And after than you’re only paying $1-2 a pack. Try it. You’ll like it.

4. Scott says:

Although I’ve significantly cut down my smoking, and my “quit date” is coming up very soon, I, too, am in the same boat: a smoker in New York state.

You can’t buy cigarettes online, but you can buy them through the mail. Of course, it takes longer, but you’ll save a lot of money that way.

Back when we were able to order smokes online, there was a site I used all the time: SenecaSmokes.com, and never once had a problem with them. They are located in Lewiston, NY, just north of Buffalo.

They do have your brand, but lucky you–American Spirit takes a little longer to ship!

$37/carton, and about $6 for shipping.

…and note this statement, copied directly from their site:

“SenecaSmokes DOES NOT report cigarette or tobacco sales to ANY state taxation or tobacco department!”

5. kickslop says:

Thumbs up on the American Spirit lights. I smoked Camel lights for 6 years (a consistent 6 a day) and GAG on the chemicals and garbage in them now after switching to AS lights. Of course, I’m still killing myself, but…

6. Joel Johnson says:

At the suggestion of a reader, I tried these guys last night. I’ll you all know how it works out.