Scam Alert: Entertainment Rewards and Ticketmaster

We’ve gotten a report that the Ticketmaster.com “Entertainment Rewards” scam is still going on, despite a cooling down of complaints online at sites like Rip Off Report and Entertainment Reward Scam.

How does this scam work? It seems that after buying tickets from Ticketmaster.com—often your only option, but we’ll leave that scam alone for a moment—many people are finding $9 charges to their credit card, despite choosing to opt out of any additional post-sale enticements.

Entertainment Rewards are the same folks who publish the coupon books often used as fund-raising fodder by local schools and other children’s groups. They also happen to be a subsidiary of InterActiveCorp, the same holding company that owns Ticketmaster. According to well-documented accusations, Ticketmaster.com is passing along personal information including credit card numbers to its sister company, who then signs up customers for the $9-a-month Entertainment Rewards program. When customers call to complain that they never signed up for the service, Entertainment Rewards’ CSRs assure them that they opted in to the program (even when they clearly remember they did not and can even back up their claim with web logs showing that no additional data was passed to Ticketmaster.com after the purchase was completed).

If you’ve been scammed into the Entertainment Rewards charge, your first step should be to call the customer service number and have it immediately refunded. (Entertainment Reward Scam has the numbers and some tips.)

The next step? We’re smelling class action.

Comments

1. Josh Cohen says:

I once had a Chase Credit Card (at least, I think it was Chase) that was tied to Entertainment Rewards, free of charge. I never paid any money to get into it. But I also never used my rewards. It’s like the eight million bucks Home Depot made/makes off unused gift cards.

Nowadays when people get rewards points, they use them. But back in the late 90s, I don’t know of anyone in my circle of friends/peers who even paid attention to rewards.

2. billhelm says:

My wife got scammed into the same thing when she placed an order on the web site for La Redoute. We were unable to get a refund, but we caught it after only one charge.

3. dc_savant says:

I had this exact scam happen to me and noticed it this morning. Thanks to this and other website postings, I was able to educate myself, call the company and get a refund (only because they recognized that I had not printed off the coupons and I threatened legal action). I will never use tickemaster again- and if they are the only choice, I will not go to the show. I hope others will boycott ticketmaster until they stop scaming customers!

4. gmanteghisr says:

I WAS SCAMMED LAST WEEK BY TICKET MASTER AND ENTERTAINMENT REWARDS. THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATION ON THIS WEB PAGE, I HAVE CALLED THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND REPORTED THE SCAM.
    GEORGE GREENVILLE,SOUTH CAROLINA

5. C-Pod says:

I was scammed on the Ticketmaster site as well, for tickets that I purchased back in April. I was charged on May 8th. I spoke with Jackie at Ext 90392. She refunded the $9.00 charge and cancelled my membership that I never signed up for in the first place. For every person that catches the scam, I wonder how many don’t. It’s a really dishonest way to make a buck!

6. Phidoux says:

I was scammed by Ticketmasters/Entertainment Rewards as well. By the time I caught up with them they got me for 63.00. I called Entertainment Rewards
    866-364-1333 .After a lenghty conversation with
    “Gabrial” I.D. 107123. I settled for half back. Which according to them will be reimbused to my account. Will see.Note:This people are unable to profide any documentation of purchase. In the event they are legitimate is extremly stupid.

7. melissam says:

I to was also scammed. They charged me the typical $9.00 9 different times. It was to an account that I hardly use…..so in addition to the $9.00 I got 9 overdraft fees of $32.00 from my bank. My bank will not refund it since it was not their fault.

Entertainment rewards will not refund me this money either.

8. JackieS says:

I had the same thing happen to me. I placed an order with Ticketmaster.com ~ thanks for the info on your website. If I did not come across this and other postings, I would have been scammed! I filed a dispute with my credit card company and called Entertainment Rewards at 1-866-364-1333. Their autmated sysstem allows you to cancel by entering your credit card number. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!! I spoke with a human and cancelled the account and was refunded the $9 without providing my credit card number.

9. JackieS says:

@melissam: Do not accept this as the final answer! If you used a debit card or credit card, your bank will allow you to file a dispute. You need to tell them it was a fraudulent charge. There are forms you will need to complete and have notorized.

In addition, call Entertainment Rewards at 1-866-364-1333 and tell them you want a full refund. Don’t be nice. Be firm! There are companies that prey on “nice” people and their phone representatives will try every tactic to keep your business. GOOD LUCK — DON’T GIVE UP! That was your hard earned money!!

10. JackieS says:

HERE IS WHAT RIP-OFF REPORT SUGGESTS YOU DO:

Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don’t delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish to file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: “we could not do anything for you” or “you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days”.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 #, and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it’s their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off Report.com. And if you’re at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/controller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.

CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD

If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won’t contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report with the Banking Commission.

11. Barb_S says:

I have news! This scam continues over 2 years later! I also purchased tickets from Ticketmaster and three months later I have a pending charge for $9.00. I immediately called the card service department at my bank and disputed the charge. The problem is the bank said that in order to stop future charges they would have to cancel my debit card and reissue me another one. The plot thickens…in order for me to pick up my tickets, I have to have the same card originally used or call Ticketmaster with the new card number. So it can be a vicious cycle, like a dog chasing its’ tail!! Someone at Ticketmaster is making megabuck using this SCAM!!!

12. jett456 says:

Oh, my God. I just got off the phone with this guy Jerry. He eventually gave me back my $9.00 after much arguing about whether or not it was fraudulent. Do not use that word when speaking to them on the phone. What a scam. I am still going to call my bank and put it in dispute. I am also going to call ticketmaster and complain about their affiliation with this fradulent activity.

13. WilliaJ8 says:

OMG I am soooo pissed. I use this credit card daily and also for many reoccurring charges, son’s online gaming, tolls so I have many charges monthly. I thought this was my son’s computer subscription since June 2005!!!! as it turns out it was these bozo’s scamming almost $300 from me since then. After reading everyone’s reports I not only cancelled this, but lost my cool to say the least and got 3/4 of my money back. They argued and told me I was computer illiterate and it was my responsibility to not let this reoccur. The more they argued the madder I got! There should be a class action suit. How do people live w/themselves

14. LundyE says:

I was charged the $9 on May 5, 2008. I didn’t even recognize the name of the charge at first and luckily, through this website and all your helpful comments, I immediately called the number. I had to wait to speak to a human and cut right to the chase. I told him I knew what was going on here and didn’t want this charge and wanted it removed right away. He said he’d get right on it. While he was doing that, I said “So, this seems to happen to a lot of people, why is that?” He said, “When you first sign up for Ticketmaster, you are informed about an option to get $25 off your next Ticketmaster purchase and since most people want $25 off, they go ahead and sign up. The first 30 days is free” (which is supposedly why we aren’t charged until much later after we’ve purchased our Ticketmaster tickets). He then said that after the first 30 days, we are notified by e-mail that our month is up and charges will now apply. I don’t know about any of you, but I never received an e-mail telling me my credit card was going to be charged $9 monthly, or else I would have never done it in the first place. I think he was just trying to cover his own bases. Thank you all for providing helpful comments and instructions on how to get our money back. We’ll see if I get this money back or not.

15. sxygrl69 says:

I’m not trying to be rude towards you consumers who feel bad about this program, however; I did sign up for this when I bought tickets from Ticket Master. On the last page I clicked on a link for a cash back award and then read about a membership program. It sounded like a pretty good deal, especially because I spend a lot of money on travel and eating. I know I had to enter my email address in and click ok, or something before I was signed up. I did receive an email right away with my login information. I have been a customer for probably a year now and it saves me a lot of money. So, really I believe people aren’t paying much attention online and are just trying to save more money on the tickets. They may not have meant to sign up for this, but I don’t feel like it’s a scam.

16. tv2112 says:

I just discovered that these guys having been billing me for 8 months ($72). They cancelled my account and only refunded me 3 months($27). “That is the most I am authorized to refund”. I will be calling my bank in the morning along with the BBB. I will never buy thruough ticket master again.

17. ENTRewardsCSR says:

The reason you get signed up is because a lot of the new windows computer have an autofill function that will put your email address for you and other information. It’s meant to save time but with ENT. Rewards it signs you up by entering your email address twice which is all it takes to sign up.

18. AdolfElipticate says:

I was scammed for 5 months before I realized it. As soon as I did, I googled it and found this site. Thanks to everyone before me for their helpful advice. I called Ent. Rewards and they said I was most likely signed up by clicking on an offer to recieve $25 back on my next purchase. The lady was super nice and she cancelled it instantly. She offered to refund three of my five charges and I simply told her that was unacceptable. She put me on hold and came back to me after a little while and told me she was able to refund the whole five payments. She was super nice about it and the whole thing, including both hold times, took me only ten minutes. And she sent the confirmation email before we were even off the phone.

19. xwiseguyx says:

I called and spoke to someone named Page. She said I would get a full refund within 7 – 10 business days. no arguing with me at all. she gave me a cancellation number as well. If anyone has a problem, perhaps ask for her. (Of course this is pending if I actually get this refund but I don’t have any reason to believe it’s not going to happen at this point.)

20. AndriaHippolytus says:

Just called Entertainment Rewards and the lady I spoke with wouldn’t refund
    the the charge. We caught it after only one charge. My wife doesn’t
    remember doing anything like what they said about accepting a trial for $25
    back. She also didn’t receive any of the emails they claimed to have sent.
    This is a bunch of crap.

21. jbdmed says:

I too was signed up for this program. I went back to the ticketmaster website ,clicked on the AmEx invitation to the rewards program….NO mention of a $9.00 monthly charge. called rewards number they would only refund 1 of 2 months charges

22. ClaudeFaloogin says:

yep 2 years later this is still a hot topic, i just got off the phone to refund that $9, since i caught it…for my story, this was a much bigger problem when i noticed that another entertainment thing was taking 39 DOLLARS out of my account every month!!I didn’t catch it for 3 months, equaling 120 dollars. and i only got half of that back. So as soon as i saw this 9 dollars pop up i immediately called and complained, i had a confirmation number, but they had no record of me calling to cancel. Word to the wise, make sure you check your bank accounts. this is one of the most ridiculous scams i’ve ever heard of, and i will not be using ticketmaster again. Try Live Nation, they’re great.

23. Anonymous says:

Thank you for posting this on the web site. This happened to me and we are tring to get it straightened out right now. THANKS!

24. Anonymous says:

I used a link thru a Christian radio station to get to Ticketmaster and eventually Entertainment Rewards. This scam apparently has not got the press and attention that it deserves. Not until it hits the airwaves and some Ticketmaster official realizes the potential to be completely shut down are there going to be any significant differences made.
    I too was given a confirming number and told that my charges would be given back. I too was also told by my back that since I will get a refund of my $$$ that they cannot do anything about it…BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

25. Anonymous says:

This is still going on. Today I found for the first time this $9 dollar charge and they told me it has been happening since NOV 21, 2005! I told the lady that I want my name off and that I never authorized such thing (in which she said that Ticketmaster and the blah blah), whatever. This needs to be stop and Ticketmaster is next! Don’t get a NO from answer from your bank, is YOUR money. How possible there is no way to verify that indeed the scam is from Ticketmaster and not from our “lack of computer knowledge”…give me a break! this needs to stop!!!

26. Anonymous says:

I was just scammed as well! I just called and got my money refunded! They told me that if you click on the $25 cash back after you check out at Ticketmaster it takes you to the Entertainment web page where you enter your email address twice to except the membership and it states they are going to be charging your account. So I told her that of course I want $25 cash back but there was nothing in bold print and I didn’t knowingly sign up for a membership! This is total BS and I am super pissed! We need to stop this shit! I also found another charge from a Shopper Discount membership for $12…same thing I apperentally signed up when I checked out at shutterfly.com. PLEASE BEWARE!

27. Anonymous says:

Thanks for this website. I had been scammed since I bought tickets through Ticketmaster on my Chase card in March 2008! I never use my Chase Card except for big purchases, so I never bothered to check it. My first call to Ent_Rewards was surprising because they wouldn’t give me a refund even after admitting they couldn’t show me the website where I allegedly signed up for this. Why? Because I would have to BUY TICKETS again to see it. I found this website and realized that I wasn’t the ONLY one scammed. I called back with my best ticked off voice and immediately said I wanted to speak with someone in charge. I got Floor Supervisor Diane (Station 169, she wouldn’t give me her extension, last name, or explain how 169 could be used to call her); still, I demanded a full refund going back to when it started in April 2008. And Diane was nice enough to oblige! I’m getting a full refund in 5-7 days. I couldn’t get her to send me an email that says I’ll be getting a full refund, but I will be getting one that says it’s canceled. I hate that, but I have a case number. It may have helped that I mentioned others I found on the web who were caught up in this scam. I’ll let you know if I get my money back. Thanks again. That’s hundred bucks I can use.

28. Anonymous says:

I just realized that these people have been charging me $9 a month since september.

I called the customer service number and after enduring their attempts to convince me that I did sign up and that they did send me emails about the trial expiring (which they didnt) the CSR processed my refund.

We’ll see if I get it in 7-10 days as they claimed

29. Anonymous says:

I have called the credit card company every single month to dispute the carges. As of yet, I have not received any credits. I finally decided to call the scam artist Entertainment Rewards. I was professional, yet extreemly firm. I advised them that not only did I not sign up for any such program, I am fully aware of this scam as it’s broadcast all over the Internet. Within moments I was told I would be credited all $63.00, which is 7 months of charges at $9.00 each. I will wait to see if the credits actually come thorugh. Note: The credit card company says that they cannot stop any charges, they can only dispute them. There is no way to put a stop-notice even on known scam companies!

30. stellablue says:

This scam has also happened to me. Back in October of 2008 I bought tickets from ticketmaster. I’m not the type of person that meticulously reads through my bank statements every month. It wasn’t until January 2010 after I started to really budget myself and pay close attention to any and all charges that I realized I had been paying this $9 a month for over a year. I called my bank to find out what these charges were for and to dispute them. They gave me the number to Entertainment Rewards (which do not recall ever hearing of) who claimed the same thing that they claimed with everyone else, that I had signed up to receive a discount on tickets by entering my email address which, was an address that I no longer had access to. They claimed that it was my fault for siging up with them and would only credit back the most recent $9 charge (which is little to no help after being charged $70 in NSF fees by the bank solely because of the $9.) I am currently preparing any and all records of evidence to substantiate my claim of misrepresentation by both Ticketmaster and ER, as well as a breach of privacy against Ticketmaster for releasing unauthorized information. There is most definitely a class action suit brewing here.

31. hotcoppersky says:

Just an FYI….I just found out that I have been charged $7.00 a month since 2005. I received a full refund by emailing the CEO of Live Nation (Live Nation and Ticketmaster merged earlier this year). I suggest emailing NathanHubbard@LiveNation.com (CEO of Tickemaster under Live Nation). Let him know what has happened. I advise taking a few deep breaths, curbing your anger, and being cordial..for one, since Live Nation has taken over, they have STOPPED this program for this very reason, so it’s no longer an issue. But if you were a past TicketMaster customer it is likely you are still being charged. I also included Mary Ann Rivers (mrivers@entertainment.com) on my email, who is listed as the CEO of Entertainment Publications Inc. She did not respond, but Live Nation did. However, her email did not bounce back either…I would include her just in case…she should realize that its her company who is ethically negligent in my opinion.