The Case of the Slightly Different Silver BMW Wheel

As far as the finished product is concerned, The Consumerist is a big fan of BMWs. Sure, there are the occasional hare-brained mistakes like iDrive, but even those missteps seem to be born of an attempt to improve the driving experience. Plus their cars go really fast around corners, our favorite variety of road.

But we will never own one. Maintenance costs are maddeningly expensive. Many newer models essentially tie you into service at the dealership, due to cryptic, hard-to-troubleshoot electronics. And even if one is willing to interact with the dealership, they can often take three months just to replace a wheel.

As hurt as we are that we will never drive a jewel like this M Coupe, we do find some consolation that the level of service from a BMW dealership can be just as bad as that of a lesser brand.

Comments

1. Papercutninja says:

As a faithful reader of Jalopnik, I do have to point out that it is an M Coupe. It’s based on the Z3. :)

2. Joel Johnson says:

I fixed it! In my defense, it does use the M3 engine.

3. Papercutninja says:

Aye, ya done good, boy.

4. Ronin says:

I have had a BMW (330ci sport) for quite a while and have only experienced the very best of service from my dealership. A level of service that put all other dealers I have dealt with in the past, utterly in the shade.

But I am in the UK, maybe your yank dealers are all useless money grubbing gits.

5. gezick says:

actually, it only used the (current) m3 engine the last two years of its production run.
    ;-)
    the key with a bmw, as with any car, is to find a dealer you trust, buy from them, take it there for warranty service, and as soon as that runs out, take it to your trusted bmw mechanic. i take mine 75min to get serviced, but the guy i take them to is awesome, and is also a grand-am racer (that black 330ci with the white stripe(s?) down the middle

6. island21638 says:

after 6 new BMW’s in 9 years I would never buy another. I have a new 335 and after BMW did the”FIX” for the turbo lag that a lot of them have my gas mileage went from 31 highway to 24 and 24 city to 17. NEVER AGAIN. BMW tells me it’s normal and offers me $500-1000 to go away.